Teeth Whitening La Jolla, CA
If you are concerned about discoloration and staining, teeth whitening can help you achieve a radiant smile and boost your self-esteem. Over time, tooth enamel can chip, crack, and erode, revealing the yellowish lower layer of your teeth called the dentin.
Other common causes of discolored teeth:
- Drinking dark-colored beverages like coffee, red wine, and tea
- Poor oral hygiene habits
- Eating highly pigmented foods like blueberries and tomato sauce
- Taking certain prescription medications like antihistamines, beta-blockers, and ACE inhibitors
Whitening your teeth with the help of a dentist is far more effective than using over-the-counter whitening treatments. We welcome you to explore teeth whitening options at our modern office located in La Jolla village in La Jolla, CA.
In-Office Laser Whitening
When choosing in-office laser whitening, you can enjoy results in just one dental visit, making it a convenient option for last-minute events. Dr. Chad Dains will help select a shade that enhances your features for a natural look.
Using the most advanced technology, we offer fast teeth whitening treatments in our conveniently located La Jolla, CA office. During your visit, a rubber dam will cover your gums and tongue. Next, a whitening gel is carefully applied to the surface of your teeth and activated by a laser. The process will be repeated until your teeth are several shades lighter.
To maintain your pearly whites after in-office whitening, you may want to consider take-home whitening trays.
Take-Home Whitening Trays
Similar to other methods used to brighten a person’s smile, take-home trays use a bleaching agent, such as hydrogen or carbamide peroxide, to remove discoloration caused by improper cleaning, certain foods and tobacco use.
We will make you a custom-fitted tray that is designed to fit closely around the teeth. The tray looks similar to clear aligners or retainers but contains extra room for inserting the whitening gel. The trays are designed to allow the whitening gel to reach every part of the tooth without leaking onto the surrounding gums.
Most people only need to wear the trays for about an hour a day and can stop wearing the trays after reaching the desired shade of whiteness.
The dentist will provide specific instructions on how to prep the teeth, how to insert the gel onto the trays, how long to wear the trays and how to clean the teeth after. By using a custom-fitted tray, patients can see results in a shorter time period and prevent gum irritation when compared to over the counter kits.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration That Requires Teeth Whitening Treatments?
Many lifestyle factors contribute to the staining and transformation of your teeth from white to yellow. The two main types of stains that cause your teeth to discolor are known as extrinsic stains and intrinsic stains.
Extrinsic Tooth Stains
Extrinsic tooth stains range in the degree of discoloration. These stains are a result of the foods you consume frequently. Extrinsic tooth stains can be easy to remove with the teeth whitening treatments that we provide at Open Wide La Jolla.
The causes of extrinsic tooth stains include the consumption of:
- Cigarettes (smoking) and chewing tobacco
- Beverages like soda, red wine, coffee, and tea
- Sauces such as soy sauce, curries, dark sauces, and tomato sauces
- Various foods such as chocolates, blueberries, cherries, beets, and pomegranates
Intrinsic tooth stains are a result of what occurs beneath your tooth’s surface enamel due to:
- Various genetic disorders
- Taking medications, like antibiotics
- Consuming water with too much fluoride
- Some dental materials, like silver fillings
Are Teeth Whitening Treatments Effective?
- Whitening treatments can be effective on both extrinsic and intrinsic staining.
- Only natural teeth can be whitened.
- Side effects include temporary tooth sensitivity and gingival inflammation.
- Depending on the teeth whitening treatment you select, results can be visible within a few hours.
Dr. Chad Dains will help you determine the reason for your teeth discoloration and recommend safe and effective remedies to ensure you achieve a confident and bright smile.